Megaman lamps have been chosen for the refurbishment of St Johns church in Meopham, Kent which has been carried out by CES Lighting & Electrical Engineers, Coulsdon. The project involved a complete re-design of the lighting and the addition of bespoke fittings, in addition to the rewiring and installation of lighting controls throughout the ancient building. CES are experts in design and installation in listed buildings, particularly ecclesiastical and worked closely with Megaman to come up with a scheme that was sympathetic to the surroundings but that also provided the improved light levels whilst saving energy.
St Johns is a large fourteenth-century church with a wooden pulpit, made for St Margaret's, Westminster, in 1682 and brought here in 1800. The former chantry chapel of Simon de Mepham (1272-1333), Archbishop of Canterbury, and a fourteenth-century political pawn, is linked to the chancel by an iron-grilled window. Like any historic building, providing good ambient light can be a problem but Megaman provided a solution with its dimmable 10.5W classic LED 2800k and 7W GU10 LED 2800k lamps, which were used to replace halogen and incandescent lamps. These energy efficient lamps were incorporated in bespoke ceiling pendants, each incorporating 8 x 10.5W Classic LED’s for general illuminance and 4 x 7W GU10 LED’s to provide downward focused illumination. The GU10’s were also used for lighting in the main body of the church.
The results were amazing – lux levels at 3200mm below range from 100 to 315 throughout the nave and the colour rendering is excellent. The dimming ratio is very smooth with no cut-offs or flickers with dimming down to 5%, which is important with a historic building of this type so that the right ambience is achieved.